Thursday, April 28, 2011

On My Way

April 27 - 28, 2011

After traveling approximately 7,600 miles in over 28 hours, 20 of which were in the air, I arrived in Taiwan at 9:30pm local time (+12 hour time difference from MI). For those of you who know my aversion to flying you can be proud of me for only freaking out once during a moment of hyper claustrophobia when I was trapped between the beverage cart in the aisle and the two love birds watching a movie next to me. How much is it to fly first class? Anyway, the first thing I was struck by was how quiet the airport was. For a minute I thought I was in Steven Kings, The Langoliers. You learn quickly that people in Taiwan are generally much more reserved and quiet than Americans. Prior to this trip I have never been abroad although I have traveled in the Caribbean, Belize, and the typical Canada and Mexico traveling. I am very excited about this adventure but realize that it will require an open mind and flexibility.

Introduction Blog:

For family and friends who are expecting a daily log of my experiences in Taiwan you will be a bit disappointed because this is a study abroad program which requires attending lectures at various businesses and universities as well as studying the culture in Taiwan. In other words I’m not a tourist on vacation. Because there are so many scheduled events it can be exhausting and I’m not acclimated to the heat and humidity but so far it has been extremely educational and most importantly it has been fun. If you want to learn the culture of another country, study abroad is the way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment