Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 10 ~ Free Day ~ Hsinchu

Today is a free day so I am going to Hsinchu to visit my goddaughter Rebecca. Rebecca has lived in Taiwan since June last year and she loves it here. She teaches English and recently signed a contract to teach for another year so although I know she is greatly missed by her family, I am glad to know she lives in such a wonderful place.
I left to see Rebecca around 10:30am this morning and I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about getting there and back mainly because I don't have a cell phone to use.



I'm currently on the HSR headed to Hsinchu to see Rebecca. We are currently traveling 226 km/hr so it will take about 1/2 hour to get there. I walked a short distance from the hotel to the MRT station and took the MRT to the Main Station in Taipei. Thank goodness some students reminded me to use the brown line when I come back home. The MRT system is very easy to use as well as efficient but you have to pay attention to what colored line to use. At the Main Station I got a ticket for the HSR but the girl must not have understood me because she gave me the wrong ticket but somehow through the grace of God I got on the train and will actually arrive early. A nice girl let me use her phone so I called Rebecca to let her know.

Rebecca and me

Tea Eggs

Every time I walk into a 7-Eleven here I smell a particular smell that I haven't been able to distinguish until today when Rebecca and I went to a 7-Eleven and she bought a tea egg. I have seen them before but didn't know or want to know what they were. Rebecca apparently gets one almost every day and likes them. I'll take her word for it that they are good.

It was so nice to be able to spend time with Rebecca today. I have not seen her for several years so there was a lot of catching up to do. I never would have thought when she said she was moving to Taiwan that one day I would actually get to visit her. I only wish her mom, my best friend/cousin Jan, could have been with us. Kayla (my daughter) is leaving for China today and will be in Taiwan by the end of the week. I hope she gets to see Rebecca too.

I decided to take the regular train back to Taipei which took a little over 2 hours. The train station was right in Hsinchu so I wouldn't have to have Rebecca take me back to the HSR station. I rode on the back of her scooter from the station to Hsinchu and it was quite an exciting ride. Rebecca is a good driver and I must admit that it really was fun, but one scooter ride was enough for me.

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms and although I missed being with my kids today I was really happy to be here in Taiwan. I was really happy and proud of myself for getting to Hsinchu and back without getting lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment